Military Tuition Assistance (TA)

Military Tuition Assistance (TA)


Initiate TA authorization from your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service.


How to apply for Tuition Assistance

Each military service branch and component has their own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions.  For more information, review your military service website for details on your eligibility and the process for requesting tuition assistance.



Steps to apply for Tuition Assistance

  1. Speak with your education officer, career counselor, or benefits incentive specialists to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance.
  2. Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at the University of Arkansas prior to applying for admissions. (Note: Commanders approve TA!)
  3. See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at the University of Arkansas.
  4. Follow the military service branch and component specific instructions how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch.
  5. Submit your approved TA request to the University of Arkansas Treasurer’s Office for processing (email to Cole Teaster at and cc Jordan Campbell at, PDF format).
  6. The Treasurer’s Office will process your approved TA request, and posts the TA credit to your student account. If you have questions regarding TA posting to your student account, please contact Cole or Jordan at 479-575-5651. 


General Information about Military Tuition Assistance

  • TA is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester.
  • TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
  • TA is limited on the total number hours for undergraduate degrees (lifetime limit) depending on your branch/component. It also cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a 2nd bachelor’s degree)
  • TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year applies for Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marines. Coast Guard, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $2250 per fiscal year. (Fiscal year resets on October 1)
  • TA may NOT cover all course fees.
  • TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact from an Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the Military Service for guidance.
  • TA requests should be completed prior to the start of the semester. Each branch/component has its own deadline.
  • TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the university and may come late in the semester.
  • Please note TA is not a guaranteed benefit, and funding is limited. TA is paid on a first come first serve basis. Students must apply within their branch of service prior to the start of the school term.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at


Points of Contact


Office of the Registrar

(Transfer credits and other student records) 

Phone: 479-575-5451


Office of Financial Aid

(Title IV funding)

Phone: 479-575-3806


Academic Scholarship Office  


Phone:  479-575-4464 


Center for Educational Access 

(Disabilities and Accommodations Services) 

Phone: 479-575-3104 


Career Development Center  

(Career Preparedness Services)  

Phone:  479-575-2805 


Walton College Career Center 

(Career Preparedness Services)

Phone:  479-575-6100




Academic Advising Centers


Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences 

Phone:  479-575-2252



Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design

Phone:  479-575-2399



J. William Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center

Phone:  479-575-3307



Sam M. Walton College of Business

Phone:  479-575-4622 (Undergraduate)

Phone:  479- 575-2851 (Graduate)



College of Education and Health Professions

Phone:  479-575-4203



College of Engineering

Phone:  479-575-3051



School of Law

Phone:  479-575-5612



Graduate School

Phone:  479-575-4401